Thursday, May 19, 2011

Oil Painting...how it started

I began painting several years ago when I couldn't find any artwork that was the right size and color for my bedroom. I had purchased 2 framed prints several years earlier because I liked the frames and thought I could find some oil paintings to go in them. That was harder than it sounded... So, being creative with a background in graphic design, I decided I would try painting. DIY projects are always more challenging than they sound!

I began by painting flowers in a photo realistic style. My first attempt wasn't horrible and with lots of patience, by trial and error I ended up with 2 paintings to fill those frames... This began my journey into painting.



I continued to paint flowers but really wanted to try still life painting using the chiaroscuro treatment.

Chiaroscuro originated during the Renaissance. I became most familiar with it in college  studying the work of Caravaggio and Rembrandt's early works that used a single-candle light source. Finally, I heard about an artist teaching at the Dupage Art League who employed chiaroscuro, George Ceffalio.

No comments: